Creating a GREAT Playlist
I receive a lot of compliments on my music playlists. People really seem to resonate with them, and I get positive reviews from all different age groups and cultures. Here are 5 tips on how to make a great playlist for you or your clients.
1. Start playing music 10 min before class to set the mood. Play something upbeat and positive. Something that most people will know. A perfect morning song for this... "Here Comes the Sun" by the Beatles or "Circle of Life" from the Lion King.
2. The first few and last few songs should have minimal lyrics/singing in them. Create a mood with gentle, instrumental or ambient music. Suggested song, "Be Here Now" by Ray Lamontagne or "Crash into Me" by Dave Matthews.
3. If you don't like "yoga music", don't play it. You need to believe in your music!! If it makes you feel good, it will make others feel good too. I rarely play yoga music in my classes, and if I do they are typically at the end of the class.
4. Have at least 30% of your playlist be instrumental/groovy. You don't want every song to have lyrics.
5. Play your music loud enough so people can hear it, but not so loud that they can't hear you. This is a tricky one...it can't be too quiet OR too loud. Find the sweet spot in between.:)
With these tips in mind, you should be on your way to making a perfect playlist in no time.